Price- and reimbursement
The objective of the Act is to ensure a sufficient supply of necessary medicinal products, as efficiently distributed as possible on the basis of fair and equitable competition, and in accordance with the rules which apply in the European Economic Area.
It is, furthermore, the objective of the Act and related regulations to ensure as far as possible the quality and safety of medicinal products and services, increase public information on the use of medicinal products, counter their excessive use and keep costs to a minimum – given the special circumstances of the Icelandic Pharma Market.
When deciding allowed wholesale price for general medicines the IMA shall monitor and „take notice of“ the price of the same medicines in the Nordic countries.
- Safety of the drug
- Clear indication and place in therapy
- Price in relation to efficacy and in comparisons to already reimbursed drugs
- Budget impact – how many patients, for how long
- Reimbursement in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland
- Challenging to administer
- Only to be used according to clinical guidelines